Friday, July 18, 2014

"Everything-is-better-with-posh" Bagels

Posh...on a bagel?

Bagels. You may think of cream cheese, peanut butter, or maybe even salmon, but posh? Posh on a bagel, too?

Let's talk about posh for a minute. What is 'posh' exactly? I toss around the term a lot, and it's become a major part of my life. I try to put a little bit of 'posh' in everything I do, make, even the way I dress! It's fun! But, what exactly is it?

In short, it's a lot of things. So, here's ONE type of 'posh,' or at least one way of looking at it.

I'll put it into a food reference so we can all understand it a little better. Recall one of my first posts "Bagels - A beautiful and delicious transformation" (don't remember? click here for a refresher!). Well, the other day I found myself in a creative mood (and craving bagels). So, I decided to test my bagel making and posh skills with this wonderful recipe for Honey Whole Wheat Bagels, "everything" style!

I have to ask - why take the time to make something, following a recipe, and merely leave it at that? Why not be a little creative and add a little posh? Posh, in this case, is the creative spin you can put on your dish. Whether it's a topping, a sprinkle or garnish, or an entirely new ingredient - posh makes recipes special. It's a way to put yourself into each dish!                                                                                                                                       For example, I could have made this bagel recipe as I've done before, and leave them as delicious honey whole wheat bagels. OR I could make an "everything" topping and put a creative spin on this treat. (I chose the latter.) And it turned out fantastic! Never be afraid to try something new, or show a little of yourself in your dish. Sure, I've had recipes and ideas which don't work (like using raisins as a topping and not realizing they burn in a 450 degree oven, then tasting them...tastes like burned sugar.) But that's part of the fun! You'll never know if you don't try. And who knows? Maybe you'll find something you really like by adding that extra pinch, or sprinkle on top.

I definitely recommend taking the time to make these bagels. They're super fun, and really easy! Enjoy each moment as you shape the dough, let it rise, and add the posh. (Then toast and smear them with cream cheese as soon as possible, even if it means you're having bagels for dinner!) Take a creative spin on your next dish and let me know how it works! (And trust me, this won't be the last time you hear about this 'posh' business from me!)
With love (for food),
Ellen
--A dash of posh can make all the difference in your next dish!--

No comments:

Post a Comment