Saturday, June 14, 2014

Peanut Butter Cup Ice Cream...Yum!

Happy Birthday, Brother! Now, my brother LOVES peanut butter - except "love" doesn't even come close! Speaking with him last week, he told me his breakfast usually consists of a bowl of vegetables and a spoonful of peanut butter (but not together, don't worry). So, for his birthday - what better gift than peanut butter cup ice cream!? I used homemade peanut butter ice cream as the base, then added in peanut butter cup pieces and a chocolate-peanut butter fudge swirl. How was it, you may ask? In my brother's words, it was "exquisite!" (Which actually translates to "Wonderful! Best ever! Loved every bite! You're the best little sister in the whole world!" - Although the latter part sometimes gets jumbled in translation.) All the same, I was touched. So, happy birthday big brother! (Not that he reads this...his girlfriend usually gives him the "highlights")

Making it was a blast - my first ice cream in my ice cream maker! Plus, it was pretty easy. I started by finding a recipe for peanut butter ice cream (on Pinterest, of course), found here. In this recipe, I used regular sugar, 1/2 cup of creamy peanut butter (can you really have too much peanut butter in peanut butter ice cream?), and regular heavy cream. See my ingredients below. Also, can we take a moment to appreciate the Market Basket theme here?? I love Market Basket... I could spend hours in there! (And I have...)


Then, I cooked it! (kinda sorta) I started by combining everything in a pot on the stove except the eggs. (In the words of Bill Cosby, "you have to be careful with eggs...") After letting the sugar dissolve over low heat, I added a little of the warmed mixture to the egg yolks, then added the egg yolks to the mixture. (This way I wouldn't have scrambled egg-peanut butter ice cream, yummy.) I chilled this mixture overnight in the fridge and poured it in the ice cream maker the next morning.

When it was almost done in the ice cream maker (about 20 minutes later), I added some chopped up peanut butter cups and folded in the chocolate peanut butter swirl. To make this swirl, combine about 1 tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa powder with about 1/4 - 1/3 cup of creamy peanut butter. Microwave for about 30 seconds, or until it's warm and melty. Then, fold it into the ice cream to create a nice swirl effect. Once completed, I stored it in a clean yogurt container wrapped up nicely, and hid it in the freezer! That evening, (after a delicious BBQ turkey dinner), I surprised him with the container, plus 2 peanut butter cups for his presentation (posh), and a new bowl! He was responsible for sending me a picture of the finished product (below).

(I'm digging his posh!) And I'm so glad he enjoyed it! (The spoonful I had scraped from the bottom of the ice cream maker bowl was pretty dang good, too! Very smooth and creamy). Try it for yourself with whatever add-ins, or swirls, or posh you like! And for all you peanut butter lovers out there, (yes, you have some competition once you meet my brother), go crazy! And have fun! :) 
With love (for food),
Ellen
--A dash of posh can make all the difference in your next dish!--

No comments:

Post a Comment